The Air Force Gap Year program provides young Australians an opportunity to broaden their life experience with only a one year commitment.
The program offers a 'try before you buy' experience of Air Force training and lifestyle, without any obligation to serve beyond the program period.
In 12 memorable months you'll experience life and work in the Air Force while enjoying:
• a good salary plus generous superannuation
• highly varied work experience
• free medical and dental
• world-class training and skills for life
• subsidised accommodation
• a supportive team environment
• free access to sports and fitness facilities
• friendships that last a lifetime
At the end of the program, you can choose to continue your career in the Air Force, or use the skills and experience you've acquired to secure an alternative career path.
Your Gap Year role
Working as an Airfield Defence Guard (ADG) in the Air Force, you'll make an important contribution to the security of air power assets and personnel in and around an Air Force base.
You will live and work as part of a close-knit and highly skilled team, undertaking weapon handling and range of tasks, including but not limited to, foot and vehicle patrolling by day and night, providing protection to aircraft, infrastructure and personnel, construction of field defences and obstacles, and search and clearance operations. You may also have an opportunity to support Air Force Security (AFSEC) and Air Base Protection (ABP).
Throughout your gap year, you'll be supported by professional and enthusiastic Air Force personnel who will provide the guidance necessary to achieve your goals. Better still, you'll be working for a dynamic organisation that offers a great lifestyle plus opportunities you simply won't find anywhere else.
Ready for an exciting and adventurous gap year? Then apply now!
• Fully-paid training
• Starting salary from $49,171 p.a equiv. plus superannuation, and from $65,659 p.a equiv. plus superannuation, following successful completion of training
• Numerous other benefits such as free medical and dental care, and access to sports and leisure facilities
Military training for Airfield Defence Guard is held in Wagga Wagga, NSW, followed by employment training at Amberley, QLD.
Upon successful completion of training, you will be posted to a Security Forces Squadron at an Air Force Defensive Establishment. This includes major bases such as:
• RAAF Base Amberley in QLD,
• RAAF Base Williamtown in NSW, or
• RAAF Base Edinburgh in SA.
• Aged between 18 and 24 as of 31 May 2019
• Australian citizen at the time of enlistment
• Completion of Year 12 plus Year 10 passes in English and Maths
Medical and fitness guidelines also apply.