- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Top 100
- Log in
- Sign up
Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO)
As Australia’s independent energy markets and power systems operator, AEMO provides critical planning, forecasting and power systems information, security advice, and services to our stakeholders. Our vision is to deliver energy security for all Australians.
AEMO operates the:
- National Electricity Market (NEM), the interconnected power system in Australia’s eastern and south-eastern seaboard
- Wholesale Electricity Market (WEM) and power system in Western Australia
as well as the:
- Victorian Declared Wholesale Gas Market (DWGM) and the Victorian gas transmission system.
- Wholesale gas Short Term Trading Market hubs in Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane.
- Retail Gas Markets in Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and New South Wales and Australia Capital Territory.
- Wallumbilla and Moomba Gas Supply Hub in Queensland and South Australia.
- Natural Gas Services Bulletin Board.
- Western Australia Gas Bulletin Board.
AEMO was established to manage the National Electricity Market (NEM) and gas markets from 1 July 2009.
Created by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) and developed under the guidance of the Ministerial Council on Energy (now the Standing Council on Energy and Resources), AEMO strengthened the national character of energy market governance by drawing together under the one operational framework responsibility for electricity and gas market functions, NEM system operations, management of Victoria’s gas transmission network, and national transmission planning.
On 1 July 2014, AEMO turned five. To commemorate the milestone, it assembled this animated timeline to reflect on AEMO’s evolution and maturity.
In 2015, AEMO took responsibility as the wholesale and retail market operator in Western Australia, integrating the functions of the Independent Market Operator (IMO), which had been created in 2004. Also in 2015, AEMO took responsibility for the WA Gas Bulletin Board and Gas Statement of Opportunities, which had been established for the Western Australian gas market through the IMO in 2013.
On 1 July 2016, the power system operations function also moved from Western Power to AEMO, establishing AEMO as the independent power system operator for Western Australia.
Areas of specialisation:
We specialise in power system operations, managing electricity and gas markets and systems, and planning for Australia’s energy future; our people include Engineers, Information Communication and Technology Specialists, Business Analysts, Statistical Modellors, Forecasters and Economists.