The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global financial services, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
We provide expertise and advice in a wide range of financial disciplines across products, industries and regions and report our activities in the following four business segments: corporate advisory, institutional client services, investing and lending and investment management.
What makes your organisation stand out from the crowd?
OUR PEOPLE: We offer our people the opportunity to move ahead more rapidly than is possible at most other places. Advancement depends on merit and we have yet to find the limits to the responsibility our best people are able to assume. For us to be successful, our men and women must reflect the diversity of the communities and cultures in which we operate. That means we must attract, retain and motivate people from many backgrounds and perspectives. Being diverse is not optional; it is what we must be.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY: The firm takes an assumption of excellence approach to diversity. In 2014, Goldman Sachs Australia was awarded Employer of the Year in the Australian Workplace Equity Index for LGBTI (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex) Inclusion. Our firm is made up of 163 nationalities and 101 different languages and we have developed and support over 80 affinity networks and interest forums globally such as the Australia and New Zealand Women’s Network, GLaM (Gays, Lesbian and Mates) Network, Working Parent Forum and Disability Interest Forum.
TECHNOLOGY: 1 in 4 people at the firm are in the Technology Division. This highlights just how important Technology is to our ability to provide best in class products and services to our clients. We provide innovative technology solutions to enable flexibility, productivity, commerciality and collaboration.
INDUSTRY POSITION: In 2014, the firm received many awards highlighting the successes we achieved on behalf of our clients:
- AsiaMoney 2014 Australia Awards
- Best Investment Bank
- Best M&A Adviser
- Best M&A Deal: Transurban’s acquisition of Queensland Motorways
- Best IPO: Medibank Private Limited’s IPO
- Finance Asia Australian Achievement Awards
- Best Investment Bank
- Best M&A House
- Best M&A Deal: Transurban acquisition of Queensland Motorways
- Best IPO (tied): Medibank Private / Healthscope
- Best Secondary Offering: Transurban AREO
- Best Hybrid Deal: Bendigo & Adelaide Bank Tier 2 subordinated notes
- Equities Dealing Desk of the Year at the Annual Stockbrokers Awards 2014.
Tell us some keynote facts about your company such as its size, project highlights, scope of work, etc
Globally we have 71 different offices in 34 different countries.
We recruit from a variety of different backgrounds and degree disciplines into 2 campus recruitment programs:
2016 Graduate Program: Applicants must be in their final year of study for an undergraduate or Masters degree in 2015.
2015/16 Summer Internship: Applicants should ideally be in their penultimate year of study for an undergraduate or Masters degree in 2015. Candidates must be able to commit to the full 11 week duration of the program to be considered eligible. Our assets are our people, capital and reputation.
Our graduates and interns can expect:
- To contribute to meaningful projects of global, economic and social significance from day one
- A highly collaborative, intellectually stimulating environment
- Best-in-class training through Goldman Sachs University
- To work with talented and passionate individuals who will inspire and motivate you
- To develop a global network
- Formal and informal mentoring support drawn from the firm’s top talent.
- Networking opportunities with over 80 diversity networks and interest forums globally
- Career development and mobility opportunities
- Competitive benefits and much more.
Opportunities exist in a number of our business divisions in Melbourne, Sydney and/or Perth including:
- Corporate Advisory
- Global Investment Research**
- Investment Management (Asset Management)
**Initially a 2 year program, based in Singapore, which allows you to work with colleagues across the Asia Pacific region and support Research sector heads based in Australia. After 2 years, the aim is to transfer analysts back to Australia.
Overall, how do you help your graduates to develop, and what training do you offer?
GOLDMAN SACHS UNIVERSITY
At Goldman Sachs we believe that the quality of the people who work at the firm is the cornerstone of our continuing success. To that end, Goldman Sachs University (GSU) is responsible for developing the firm’s talent to maximize performance and potential through an integrated curriculum that develops individuals at key transition points throughout their career.
A potential highlight for a first year Graduate is the opportunity to attend the global Analyst training program in New York which enables you to connect with your global Analyst class and enhance your technical and networking skills.
We have a real focus on the junior experience and GSU provides a specific Analyst and Associate Learning Series to enhance professional skills for Analyst and Associates to help them succeed in their role.
In addition to this, each employee completes a minimum of two hours of Diversity and Inclusion training per year.
Our online GSU course catalogue enables you to complete modules from our Continuing Education Series from the comfort of your desk as well as offering many other development resources and tools.
We believe that our success is deeply rooted in the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives of our people. We also believe that a supportive and collaborative work environment is a key factor to just how far you can go. That’s why we offer mentoring and career development opportunities to help our people succeed. So you’ll get every change to reach your personal and professional goals.
What do we look for in graduate and internship candidates?
When we review applications we look for well-crafted and researched applications that clearly articulate the particular reason/s for applying to our firm and business division/s.
Successfully shortlisted candidates will demonstrate:
- Alignment with our values of teamwork, integrity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving, analytical and quantitative abilities
- A passion for finance
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- A well-rounded background encompassing a diversity of experiences which may include, but not be limited to: co-curricular and team activities, community involvement, awards and/or exchange
- A strong academic transcript