- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Accounting and advisory
- Environment and agriculture
- Banking and financial services
- Government and public services
- Charity, social work and volunteering
- Construction and property services
- Human resources
- IT and communications
- Creative arts and culture
- Education and training
- Mining, oil and gas
- Energy and utilities
- Retail and consumer goods
- Engineering, R&D and manufacturing
- Transport and logistics
- Entertainment, travel and hospitality
- Top 100
- Log in
- Sign up
IP Australia Reviews
Reviews by IP Australia graduate employees
- starstarstarstarstar4.4GradAustralia surveyed 26 graduates working at IP Australia. Read on to get an insider’s view on life as a graduate. 26 responses.
- Relaxed atmosphere, secure job.
- Self-paced learning.
- Flexibility to work from home, very good WHS support, APS benefits for higher super and overall more favourable conditions.
- Enjoyable work, nice people and workplace flexibility.
- The flexibility in working hours.
- 100% computer work.
- Somewhat repetitive tasks, 100% desk job, sometimes frustrating legal aspects.
- Quite a lot of the work does not involve working in a team so this may not be a job for everyone.
- Not hands-on/practical work, desk job.
- As an examiner I encounter regular challenges including having tight timeframes to perform certain tasks, making it important to work in a very timely, efficient and methodical way.
What insiders say about…
My role is examining patents and deciding if they are novel and inventive. I read through the patent specifications and where appropriate search to see if anything similar exists in the world. I then write up a report on my decision and reasoning, and subsequently reply to feedback from the Patent Attorneys on my report(s) as required to finally grant the patent.
The office culture is very casual and friendly. There is no need for formal business attire. It is acceptable and quite common to socialise among cubicles and in the kitchen during the day. After hours tend to be even more casual, with happy hour events and local pub visits. The work does not require a lot of team work, it can be very independent of others (which is probably why it is common to socialise with others during the day). In my office, the hierarchy includes three levels. The higher levels of the organisation are based in the Canberra head office.
Experience and scenarios.
I normally work from 8.30-16.51. However, in some days of the week, I adjust my work time to suit my family needs and utilize flex as well.
Coming from private, the pay in APS is lower but fair based on the hours worked.
Moving expenses, WHS allowance, sit-stand desks, working from home, screen-based work glasses subsidy, flex, APS super rate of 15.4%, 20 days of sick leave per year.
Yes the on the job training is very good.
Very well designed training program.
Lots of examiners, not many higher level positions in my location. Much better opportunities in main office in Canberra.
IP Australia has a very diverse workplace and I believe that it is a very accepting workplace of all cultures. As a woman, I have never felt discriminated against and I will have access to excellent maternity leave options when that time comes.
We have an Indigenous secondment and recruitment program.
The office is quite large, with a cafe located on the bottom floor. There is a lot of space in the office with a kitchen and bathrooms on each floor. The location is 10 minutes from the Canberra CBD. The dress code is anywhere between full suit and tie to semi-casual.
There is a reasonable focus on reducing carbon footprint (reduction of energy consumption where possible, full segregation of wastes).Join us to bookmark!
You'll be able to save searches and much more if you register for free today!Why Sign Up?Personalised alertsGet instant notification about Australia's top graduate jobs and internships openings.Latest insightsWe’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest articles and insights to help you succeed in your graduate job hunt.Your own applications dashboardKeep track of all your job applications in one place.Join us to bookmark!
You'll be able to save searches and much more if you register for free today!Why Sign Up?Personalised alertsGet instant notification about Australia's top graduate jobs and internships openings.Latest insightsWe’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest articles and insights to help you succeed in your graduate job hunt.Your own applications dashboardKeep track of all your job applications in one place.People also viewed...At ANSTO you will work with some of Australia's brightest minds & have the opportunity to shape a career that matches your talent, goals & interests.