What is Risk?
- Effective risk management sets the Westpac Group apart from our competitors and gives us the edge we need to be one of the world's great companies. It is about striking the right balance between protecting and optimising our business. Risk professionals protect the bank against unexpected loss, develop control frameworks and manage regulatory, compliance and other risks.
- A lot of people think the risk is all about numbers, that's an important part of it, but it's not the only piece. We support a strong and risk-aware organisation through expert advice, constructive challenge and innovative solutions. We develop relationships, build trust and help solve problems. Numbers are only part of it.
- As a member of the Group Risk Business, your analytical skills will support you to understand the frameworks, strategies, tools and culture required to meet our Risk regulatory, legislative and business obligations.
Who should apply:
You will have a quantitative aptitude, ability to problem solve and leadership potential. Degrees of past interns have included: Mathematics and Statistics, Actuarial Studies, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering and/or Quantitative Finance.
Where you will work:
Sydney location available
10 Week Summer Internship
How your Summer could be spent
You will work across a broad network of stakeholders and learn how to negotiate, collaborate and share your analytical and problem-solving skills to deliver the best outcome for the business.
Your internship will be in one of our risk teams where you will build your experience and grow your network. Interns may work on projects such as:
- Developing a business risk report or dashboard, gaining a solid understanding of key risk metrics, and how end-users make insightful decisions around risk
- Determining the risk/control matrix and procedures to support a new regulatory standard for risk, developing skills in interpreting prudential standards and the application of these to the bank's products and processes
- Implementing regulatory change initiatives and working with the business to ensure new requirements are understood, complied with and embedded into risk and compliance plans
You will receive a 'best-in-class' experience understanding the foundations of the Group Risk Function. Supported through on-the-job training, mentoring and attending workshops that strengthen your Risk knowledge, capability and skills.
Future career opportunities
You will develop technical/analytical skills, regulatory and industry knowledge, project management skills, stakeholder and relationship management and negotiation and influencing skills setting you up in a possible career in:
- Financial Crime and Assurance
- Credit Risk
- Insurance Risk
- Operational Risk
You will have the opportunity to be considered for our 2021 Risk Graduate program.
Want to hear more from a Risk employee? Watch their story here or read their profile here.