- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Accounting and advisory
- Environment and agriculture
- Banking and financial services
- Government and public services
- Charity, social work and volunteering
- Construction and property services
- Human resources
- IT and communications
- Creative arts and culture
- Education and training
- Mining, oil and gas
- Energy and utilities
- Retail and consumer goods
- Engineering, R&D and manufacturing
- Transport and logistics
- Entertainment, travel and hospitality
- Top 100
- Further Study
- Log in
- Sign up
How to get hired at Jetstar
Kristie Broersen is a Resourcing Business Partner for Jetstar Airways, a position that involves recruiting personnel for a range of positions, from cabin crew to ground staff. She spoke to us about what it takes to make it in logistics and transport, and why Jetstar is such an appealing choice for graduates.
Which five tips would you give to graduates who want to work with Jetstar?
- Research our business. Take the time to find out where we have come from and how we have grown.
- Understand our values and ensure they are something you are passionate about - our core values underpin the way we work.
- Our environment is fast-paced and ever-changing. Our graduates work on really exciting new projects from day one so it’s important to be prepared to bring your fresh ideas and get your hands dirty.
- Jetstar is passionate about diversity, collaboration and inclusion. We aim to create an environment in which our team members feel valued and respected. You shouldn’t feel shy about sharing a different perspective.
- We aim to set graduates up for long-term success even after they complete our rotational program. To take full advantage of this, it’s important that you work hard and build a supportive professional network.
What's the best part of working in logistics and transport for Jetstar?
I am asked this question nearly every day and my answer has never changed: it’s the people! All of my colleagues at Jetstar are very passionate and energetic, and they love working hard to see our business succeed. We celebrate all of our wins and successes and it’s exciting to be part of such a dynamic and fast-moving business.
The aviation industry is a very exciting industry to work in as a graduate. If you are passionate about travel, you will thrive at Jetstar because every step you take has the potential to promote Jetstar as the clear customer choice in affordable travel.
The most exciting part about joining our team as a graduate is Jetstar’s rotational program. This allows you to work in a variety of departments so that you can discover your passion and plan the future as you approach the end of your rotation.
What might graduates find challenging about working in logistics and transport for Jetstar? How can they prepare for this?
Every employee who works at Jetstar has the opportunity to make our business better. It is safe to say that we work at a very fast pace at all times, so you and your new colleagues can expect to be thrown in the deep end.
To prepare, it’s important that you get to know your colleagues and feel confident asking lots of questions.
What does the future look like for graduates who start their career in logistics and transport at Jetstar?
This is completely up to each individual! Through your rotations, you’ll have the opportunity to explore all areas of the business and find a department where your studies, skills and passions are aligned. Opportunities at Jetstar are endless and our team will ensure you are provided with the support you need to succeed.
When I asked this question of one of our current graduates, his answer was “I want to be CEO at Jetstar”, and you never know - it’s possible!
Which skills will graduates need to succeed at Jetstar?
You will need the desire and ability to work in an ever-changing environment. We want to see a passion to work hard, the ability to multitask, and a proactive mindset.
What's something most people don't know about working at Jetstar?
We’re part of something bigger! Our Australian and New Zealand business is wholly owned by the Qantas Group. Qantas is Australia's largest airline and employs more than 30,000 people. The Jetstar brand, with airlines in Japan, Singapore and Vietnam, is strong and trusted across Asia Pacific.
Can you tell us a little bit about your role? What's the coolest thing about your job?
I am responsible for recruitment across our Ground Operations and Customer Experience teams. I spend most of my time recruiting for our airport-based team members (such as customer service officers and baggage handlers) across six of our Australian-based airports, as well as our cabin crew teams in New Zealand. I also recruit all of our Head Office and airport-based leaders for both divisions. Finally, I’m also fortunate enough to look after our annual graduate recruitment program and our engineering apprenticeship program. Suffice it to say, I’m a very busy individual!
Every day at Jetstar is different and I learnt very quickly to become excited about change and ambiguity. The best part about my job is meeting so many like-minded and passionate individuals. I get to see them at the airport or in the office as their careers begin and develop with Jetstar. I also love to travel during my holidays, so the amazing benefits - such as heavily discounted flights to hundreds of destinations all over the world - are something I will cherish forever.
Image credit AsiaOne