- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Top 100
- Log in
- Sign up
Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) Reviews
Reviews by Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) graduate employees
- starstarstarstarstar3.9GradAustralia surveyed 17 graduates working at Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO). Read on to get an insider’s view on life as a graduate. 17 responses.
- The varied work tasks, exposure to both gas and electricity markets and operations, opportunities to grow and develop.
- Opportunities galore for a graduate.
- Great learning experience, great people, interesting work.
- Fulfilling work.
- Flexible working hours, variety of work, friendly people, different times, wealth of knowledge from all people.
- Large workload.
- Can be siloed and difficult to find out information if you don't know the right people to talk to.
- Little room for promotion up the company, employees can get stuck in roles, tendency to get understaffed (reactive to people movements/workload) - Serious silo-ing. Poor communication across the company - Mixed benefits
- Resistant to change, very risk-averse, generally run out of Melbourne
- Low capex due to tough budgetary pressures.
What insiders say about…
Analysing the electricity market and reporting this to more senior people on a daily, weekly and ad-hoc basis. Re-developing the weekly report.
The culture in AEMO is very welcoming. There is a great support network that is build up around graduates - we have a grad buddy (from another grad cohort), a manager, a mentor, the rest of the grad cohort and wider AEMO colleagues. AEMO is a geographically diverse organisation, however special effort is made by management to ensure that everyone in the team feels connected. For example, through visits to other sites, video conferencing, lunch meetings and phone conversations. On a social level, I connect regularly with other graduates in my state (and in other states when I am on-site) and also am involved with AEMO's social club and ad-hoc after work drinks.
Written application, online questions, group assessment and panel interviews (two interviewers).
Understand and have a couple of examples where you can display your skills and how you are suited to the company.
Quite flexible - most teams are accommodating in terms of your needs.
Pay is in line with experience and industry. Overtime and on-call arrangements are reasonable.
Volunteer leave (4 days a year for paid leave to volunteer).
Most managers are very accessible, and are open to communication. We have an open-floor policy so it is easy to approach them during working hours.
A lot of training for different aspects of the markets which AEMO operates - these can be for both internal and external stakeholders/employees. These have greatly assisted in my learning and development with regard to Australia's energy industry.
It takes experience, skillsets, and a good network of colleagues.
We've just hired a female CEO - how exciting!
The organisation, by design, is neutral to all external affairs and is difficult to show opinions on potentially divisive issues.
The AEMO offices have good facilities and are generally in a good location in the major cities. The Melbourne office has a more semi-formal dress code - i.e. no jeans and t-shirts on Mon-Thurs; we do casual Fridays. For guys a shirt and suit pants (no tie), and ladies nice top and pants/skirt or dresses.
We have sustainability champions on every site that are committed to increasing awareness of our company's carbon footprint and introducing sustainable programs to AEMO.Join us to bookmark!
You'll be able to save searches and much more if you register for free today!Why Sign Up?Personalised alertsWe’ll remind you when course or scholarship deadlines are approaching, so you’ll have time to prepare the perfect applicationOpen days and eventsWe’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest information on open days and other events at institutions you’ve shown interest in.Your own applications dashboardKeep track of all your course applications in one place. We’ll let you know when application deadlines are approaching.Join us to bookmark!
You'll be able to save searches and much more if you register for free today!Why Sign Up?Personalised alertsWe’ll remind you when course or scholarship deadlines are approaching, so you’ll have time to prepare the perfect applicationOpen days and eventsWe’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest information on open days and other events at institutions you’ve shown interest in.Your own applications dashboardKeep track of all your course applications in one place. We’ll let you know when application deadlines are approaching.People also viewed...Discover what makes YOU + Ericsson a powerful combination