- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Top 100
- Log in
- Sign up
Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) Reviews
Reviews by Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) graduate employees
- starstarstarstarstar3.9GradAustralia surveyed 17 graduates working at Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO). Read on to get an insider’s view on life as a graduate. 17 responses.
- The varied work tasks, exposure to both gas and electricity markets and operations, opportunities to grow and develop.
- Opportunities galore for a graduate.
- Great learning experience, great people, interesting work.
- Fulfilling work.
- Flexible working hours, variety of work, friendly people, different times, wealth of knowledge from all people.
- Large workload.
- Can be siloed and difficult to find out information if you don't know the right people to talk to.
- Little room for promotion up the company, employees can get stuck in roles, tendency to get understaffed (reactive to people movements/workload) - Serious silo-ing. Poor communication across the company - Mixed benefits
- Resistant to change, very risk-averse, generally run out of Melbourne
- Low capex due to tough budgetary pressures.
What insiders say about…
I've been in two rotations and the day-to-day responsibilities have been vastly different. Rotation 1: Markets I was involved in analysing and reporting on the National Electricity Market and various Gas markets, including daily and weekly reports, reports that analysed price volatility. I was also involved in other technical reports as well as some ad hoc project work. Rotation 2: Stakeholder Relations My role is entirely project-based, so day-to-day responsibilities depend on the project I am working on. This role allows me to see how different business units within AEMO interact and also how AEMO interacts with external stakeholders.
Very friendly work environment, however spread of work is far from equal. Cooperation is very good when it is used.
The process is quite extensive, with about 7 stages including phone interviews, assessment centre, online testing and face-to-face interviews.
The company is very flexible. Many workers change their hours slightly to suit their home life - I have soccer training a few times a week, so on those days am able to come into work an hour earlier than usual and leave an hour earlier.
Very competitive remuneration package.
Immediate managers very accessible. Internal communication good. Feedback could be better (positive or negative).
As part of the grad program we are involved in formal training every 6 months. These formal modules cover soft skills such as time management, oral and written communication, presentation skills, tough conversations, managing upwards, etc.) Other formal training opportunities I've been involved in include market related overview courses and technical courses.
Made permanent within the graduate rotations, so can be assured have an analyst position at the end. Then its up to you.
We've just hired a female CEO - how exciting!
The organisation, by design, is neutral to all external affairs and is difficult to show opinions on potentially divisive issues.
Company has multiple offices around the country, some are better than others. Facilities are not new but not too old either. Dress code: men are in shirts with no ties. Casual Friday (men wear jeans and a t-shirt).
We have environmental initiatives e.g keep the cup program, plastic free months etc...Join us to bookmark!
You'll be able to save searches and much more if you register for free today!Why Sign Up?Personalised alertsWe’ll remind you when course or scholarship deadlines are approaching, so you’ll have time to prepare the perfect applicationOpen days and eventsWe’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest information on open days and other events at institutions you’ve shown interest in.Your own applications dashboardKeep track of all your course applications in one place. We’ll let you know when application deadlines are approaching.Join us to bookmark!
You'll be able to save searches and much more if you register for free today!Why Sign Up?Personalised alertsWe’ll remind you when course or scholarship deadlines are approaching, so you’ll have time to prepare the perfect applicationOpen days and eventsWe’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest information on open days and other events at institutions you’ve shown interest in.Your own applications dashboardKeep track of all your course applications in one place. We’ll let you know when application deadlines are approaching.People also viewed...